GARLIC SCAPES AND WILD MINT PESTO
(for 1 cup) – keeps in the fridge for 1 week (can also be frozen)
12 large garlic scapes
½ cup fresh wild mint leaves, tightly packed
¼ cup walnuts or almonds
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put garlic scapes and mint leaves in your food processor.
- Whiz so the mixture is well chopped
- Add your walnuts or almonds, until they are finely chopped
- Slowly pour your oil, while your food processors still running
- Add sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Stir in the grated parmesan cheese
SCAPES AND PASTA SALAD
A nice and easy to make salad that can be served warm or cold.
* 1 cup of pasta (farfalle or fusilli)
* 1.5 cups cut scapes, slightly boiled
* 1.5 cups cooked asparagus
* 1/2 cup cooked green peas
* One very large onion, thinly sliced
* 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
* 2 or 3 tbsp olive oil
* Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook your pasta in salty water, drain and set aside.
In a skillet, cook together the onion and the garlic at medium heat until caramelized.
Add the warm onion mix, the asparagus, the scapes and the green peas to the cooked pasta and mix well.
Prepare a salad dressing with 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup of balsamic oil, 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard, 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey, 2 tsp of Herbes de Provence (or your favorite herb mix). Mix well.
Pour on the salad and mix delicately. Add salt and ground pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.
SOUPE VICHYSSOISE (with scapes) – serves 4
* 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
* 2 cups (500 ml) chopped garlic scapes
* 1 cup (250 ml) sliced leeks
* 2 cups (500 ml) diced peeled red potatoes
* 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
* 1/4 cup (50ml) whipping cream
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped Italian parsley
Heat butter in pot on medium-high heat. Add scapes and leeks and sauté for 2 minutes. Add potatoes and sauté until softened slightly. Add stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked. Puree in food processor. Add cream and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavours. Stir in parsley.
SAUTÉ OF GARLIC SCAPES AND RED PEPPERS (serves 6)
The red peppers and scapes look remarkable together. Serve with any kind of sautéed or grilled poultry or meat.
* 16 oz (1kg) garlic scapes
* 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
* 1/2 red pepper, julienne sliced
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
Trim garlic scapes and remove and seed pods. Cut in pieces approximately the same size as a bean. Blanch for 2-3 minutes. Drain and cool in cold water.
Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Add scapes and red peppers for 4 minutes. Toss together, cover skillet and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
Uncover and season with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER AND GARLIC (Serves 6)
* 1 large cauliflower (trimmed and cut into bite size pieces, washed with water still on)
* 16 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
* 1 -2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 cup olive oil, adding more to taste
* more olive oil, to drizzle if wanted
1. Mix oil, rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic together.
2. Toss in cauliflower and place in a large casserole dish in one layer.
3. Roast in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes; give a toss and bake for 10 more minutes.
GARLIC AND MUSTARD SALAD DRESSING
* 3/4 cup virgin olive oil
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 4 tsp maple syrup
* 1 tsp dried herbs (herbes de Provence or basil)
Mix well. Store in the fridge. Delicious on greens!